Re: Dove and finch repellents

At 09:20 AM 9/10/97 +0200, RFOWLER@cedara1.agric.za wrote:
>Further to MARCIEROSE's enquiry about deer repellents, is anyone
>aware of a solar-powered sonar repellent resource-poor farmers could
>use to keep birds out of small (1 - 2 acre) fields of sunflower?
>
>Or any other means?

There is  a compressed air inflatable scarecrow on the market in the UK which
seems to work fairly well. It inflates at intervals from a prone position to
standing up with lots of hissing and then gradually deflates and slumps back
down.
We use slow burning firecrackers in an old milk churn on our experimental farm
which the birds do not like at all as they sound like a shotgun blast.
I don't know how expensive either of these methods would be to use over an
extended period though.

Geoff
- ------------------------------------------------

Dr Geoff Seavers