                             ***
                   Pesticide Action Network
                        North America
                       Updates Service
                 http://www.panna.org/panna/
            =====================================

Resource Pointer #142

September 23, 1997

For copies of the following resources, please contact
the appropriate publishers or organizations directly.

                         ***

*Rising Toxic Tide: Pesticide Use in California 1991-
1995, 1997.* James Liebman. Documents rising intensity
of pesticide use in California, including 129% increase
in use of carcinogenic pesticides and 52% increase in
use of acutely toxic nerve poisons. Criticizes state
government for failing to implement sustainable
alternatives to pesticides and for not making
information about pesticide use accessible to the
public. Recommends that Department of Pesticide
Regulation produce annual summaries of pesticide use
trends and launch statewide effort to reduce pesticides.
35 pp. US$5. PANNA and Californians for Pesticide
Reform. To order report, contact PANNA.

*The Methyl Bromide Issue, 1997.* C.H. Bell, N. Price and B.
Chakrabarti, eds. Provides technical discussion of methyl
bromide's effectiveness, mode of action and environmental and
health impacts, and discusses policy and scientific
implications of phaseout. Describes chemical and physical
alternatives to methyl bromide for perishables, durables,
structures and soil.  400 pp. US$125 plus shipping/handling
(variable). John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 1 Wiley Drive,
Somerset, NJ 08875; phone toll free (800) 225-5945 or (908)
469-4400; fax (908) 302-2300.

*Alternatives to Methyl Bromide: Ten Case Studies, Volume
Three, 1997.* U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Presents brief descriptions of chemical and non-chemical
alternatives to methyl bromide. Includes information about
alternatives to soil, commodity and structural uses of methyl
bromide, including compost, flooding, grafting, hydroponics,
steam, metam sodium, telone and phosphine. Discusses
effectiveness of various techniques and shows costs compared
to methyl bromide. 72 pp. No charge. Ozone Protection
Hotline; phone toll free (800) 296-1996 or (301) 614-3390 or
contact Methyl Bromide Program, EPA, 6205J, 401 M Street, SW,
Washington, DC 20460;
http://www.epa.gov/ozone/mbr/mbrqa.html.

*FAO Pesticide Disposal Series #3: Pesticide Storage and
Stock Control Manual, 1996.* Food and Agricultural
Organization (FAO). Describes how to store pesticides so as
to minimize chance of leakage and environmental damage.
Discusses choice of storage site, design of storage
structure, methods of stacking pesticide containers, disposal
of obsolete pesticides and how to transport pesticides
locally. Includes information about responding to spills,
decontaminating clothing and handling major emergencies such
as fire or flooding. 32 pp. No charge. United Nations FAO,
Via delle Terme di Caracalla, 00100-Rome, Italy; phone (39-6)
5705-5192; fax (39-6) 5705-56347.

*FAO Pesticide Disposal Series #4: Disposal of Bulk
Quantities of Obsolete Pesticides in Developing Countries,
1996. Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO). Gives
information about taking inventory of pesticide stocks and
stabilizing sites where obsolete pesticides are stored.
Discusses containment, temporary storage and clean-up.
Describes techniques for disposal, including various forms of
incineration and chemical treatment, and discusses how to
select optimal disposal method. 44 pp. No charge. United
Nations FAO, Via delle Terme di Caracalla, 00100-Rome, Italy;
phone (39-6) 5705-5192; fax (39-6) 5705-56347.

We encourage those interested in having resources listed
in the Online Resource Pointer to send review copies of
publications, videos or other sources to our office
(address listed below) or to contact Information Program
Associate Adam Kirshner for further information.