Re: comments on UDSA/NOP cost and benefits to organic farmers and handlers

.>
>  .  This is the small farms listserver does that mean that it is for folks
> that sell under $5000.  What is a small farm?  is $5000 and under
> considered a small farm.  I don't think so.  What is the average per annual
> sells of farms in the US so I can get an idea of what is small.   >>
>

>EAK: 15 years ago it was concluded that in California that a small farm was
>one that grossed less then $250,000 annually.  I have a few questions.  Who
>is your organic certifier?  What makes you think that organic farmers are
>"poor farmers"?  I have 7800 certified and registered organic farmers on the
>Organic Farmers Marketing Association's database, have met personally
>hundreds if not thousands of them and do not know a one who is really "poor"

.
So you think that gives you the right to take our hard earned money because
you don't know any poor farmers ?Maybe that is you problem you don't know
any poor growers.  That is how me and Eric meet I went to see if my wallet
was in my back pocket and we shook hands. (joke)
hello Eric !  now you know a poor farmer so get your hand out of my pocket.
.   I was going to join and really wanted to join the Organic Farmers
Marketing Association but I could not afford and never had an extra $25
dollars.     If California concluded that a small farm was one that
grossed less than $250,000 annually why is the small farm exemption only
$5000.  . If all the farmers you know are rich and you don't know any poor
ones raise the small farmers exemption to $250,000 annually sells or at
least $50,000 just for the poor farmers you don't seem to know are even out
there so we can still farm organic.  What is the harm if in all your years
you have never meet a poor organic grower. Easy just  raise the small farm
exemption. That way if there are some poor farmers that grow and sell
organic they can still grow organic  with out the burden of paying out
money they may not have.  Lets be reasonable we don't want to make a act
that will hurt people that are not doing anything wrong.  .