TH: Tree Micropropogations

 Post-To: Tree-House@Majordomo.Flora.Com (Community Forestry) ----------
 -------
 Greenings Tree-House -

 I have been fortunate to receive some off-list correspondence about
 tree tissue cultivation which you may find very interesting. The
 following quotes are being anonymously forwarded to the list:

> Every year I germinate about 1000 tree seeds and although I keep the best
> and most vigorous I take the time to plant the rest around my town
> knowing that in ten or twenty years it will make a big difference in the
> greening of the region.  Presently I am setting up a micropropagation
> lab on a small scale to dramatically increase my production of trees -
> many of which will find their way into the surrounding countryside ...

> ... Do you know of
> anyone who has any experience in micropropagation (tissue culture) of
> trees or woody ornamentals - I could use the help / advice ...

> ... just a novice in tissue culture but am
> determined to pursue it.  There is a page at one of the university
> sites, can't remember which one, written by a Dr. Adaji entitled:
> "Tissue culture for home gardeners" which is where I started.  I'm
> sure you can find it doing a diligent search in a few of the search
> engines.  My knowledge of various forms of woody plant propagation
> comes from a very good text entitled 'PLANT PROPAGATION: Principles
> and Practices' by Hartmann & Kester.  I would highly recommend getting
> this text to anyone interested in learning about tree propogation,
> especially the rooting of cuttings and grafting techniques ...

 Thank you to our contributor, and if anyone has more to offer on
 this fascinating topic please do so.  It seems to me that home tree
 cloning (or 'layering') could fulfill an important gap in the arbori-
 culture cycle.  When we plant trees unable to reproduce themselves
 on their own, for a number of important reasons, such propogation
 techniques could then become very beneficial to us.  They could al-
 low small growers to multiply their favorite trees.  We could 'send
 a twig to the lab' -- and come back with a new tree.  Such methods, by
 the way, are routine in fruit production and in the ornamentals trade.

 This also brings up thorny ethical issues -- when a company may own a
 'patent' on a select cultivar, which an individual might infringe ...

 (un)subscribe Requests:
 Richard@Flora.Com
 Richard Tryzno Ellsberry | FloraList Operations | Baltimore USDA Zone 7