Tt: Re: Urban Tree Box Care

Question -- My work involves community gardening in Washington DC.  Faced
with improving the appearance and health and wellbeing of treeboxes in many
parts of the city, I am wondering if anyone has better ideas than: 1.clear
out the weeds and mulch the treebox, leaving the tree roots safe and sound
but not aerating the soil. 2. aerate the soil a bit, build a border around
the box, add compost and then mulch.

Anyone have any advice on the best way to improve the soil and improve the
tree's conditions without all that building ...  what about use of cover
crops to aerate the soil naturally.  What would work well in a setting with
nearly no care, no water ...

All thoughts welcomed, either to the list or directly to GROW19@aol.com