TT: Re: Big Storm

 Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 13:05:02 -0700 (MST)
 From: Scott Golden <sgolden@vth.colostate.edu>
 To: Community_Forestry <TreeTown@Majordomo.Flora.Com>
 Subject: Re: Big Storm

Just a note regarding the storm damage as it pertains to silver maple.
The species (Acer saccharinum) due to the structure of its xylem is very
prone to storm damage.  The tree was aggressively planted several years
ago due to its rapid growth and establishment. Although it is a very nice
tree, (I planted one just last year on my property, FAR away from any
potential targets :-), the species should probably be avoided in the
future in urban areas prone to early season snows before leaf abcission.
I am probably doing myself a financial disfavor, but as a professional
arborist, these trees keep us VERY busy after Sept-Oct snows.  But, as I
mentioned earlier, they are a very nice, fast growing tree.  Just be sure
to plant away from any existing or forseen potential targets and be
prepared to do some pruning and cleanup.

Regards,
C. Scott Golden
ISA Certified Arborist #RM-0870

"Trees are the answer!"