Re: TT: osage orange

Wow, everyone seems to be interested in Osage-orange.

Gary, you are right, it is a good tool handle wood.  As a forester, I tend
to overlook what are usually referred to as "minor forest products."
Obviously, these are not minor to those with a specific use in mind.  For
example, here in Kentucky, hickory is more valuable for its bark than its
wood.

Now to Susan's delightful comments. While many of us are quite familiar with
the use of Osage-orange fruit as weapons in sibling battles, I am very
intrigued by your comment about Christmas ornaments made of baked
Osage-orange fruits.  Can you elaborate for us?  This was a lousy year for
Osage-orange and many other fruits in Kentucky, but we can file it away for
next year.

Happy New Year!

Tom Kimmerer
Forest Biologist