From: aesculus <aesculus@negia.net>
To: Community_Forestry <TreeTown@Majordomo.Flora.Com>
Date: Wednesday, January 21, 1998 6:03 PM
Subject: TT: Re: Live Oak

Ah, the state tree of Ga. Its difficult to match its splendor and
sprawling
branches.
While traveling thru Statesboro, Ga. a few years ago, I noticed a local
hotel had
pruned their 30'  Live Oaks into a box shape much to my horror (probably
an
aspiring forester). Thank goodness, the trees have been "put to sleep"
since.
There is a Southern Magnolia that has shown cold hardiness to -25F,
Bracken's
Brown Beauty. There  is a mass planting in Cinncinnati(sp) and has
beaten
the odds. So Yankees that want to take a chance,try it but please leave
the
skirt !
Craig/Athens,Ga.