[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

TT: RE: State University Agricultural Co-op Extensions ...

I agree with Shaub and Richard that the Cooperative Extension service is one
of the best sources around for good urban forestry information, and yes, it
usually is a two-way exchange.  If we expect the Cooperative Extension
service to provide services for community forestry, we need to request those
services.  Extension is very responsive to consumer demand.  If they get a
lot of requests for community forestry assistance, they will in turn learn
more about it.

If you want to locate your extension agent, there are two ways to do it:

1.  Look in your phone directory under the Federal Government pages, US
Department of Agriculture, Cooperative Extension.

2.  For more specialized assistance (many county agents are not trained in
forestry or horticulture), you may want to contact your Land Grant
university, which in most states is also the Agricultural Experiment
Station.  You can find a complete guide to all Land Grant institutions, Ag.
Experiment Stations and related institutions at the USDA Cooperative
Extension web site: http://www.reeusda.gov/statepartners/usa.htm

[Disclaimer - though I work at a Land Grant institution, I am a researcher
and teacher, and am not part of the Cooperative Extension Service]

Tom Kimmerer
Forest Biologist
University of Kentucky
Lexington KY 40546-0073
Fax 606-323-1031
Visit the TreeWeb at http://quercus.uky.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Owner-TreeTown@listbox.com [mailto:Owner-TreeTown@listbox.com]On
Behalf Of RT Ellsberry
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 1998 1:36 AM
To: Community_Forestry
Subject: TT: State University Agricultural Co-op Extensions ...

 On Sun, 25 Jan 1998, Shaub Dunkley wrote:

> May;
> ... Maybe e-mail or call to Texas experts will help.  However, I
> recommend you contact your county's Cooperative Extensive Service forester
> or horticulturist first.  He/she should help you get an answer to your
> problem ...

 Thank You Shaub Dunkley & Others -

On recommending the local extension services.  These are major sources
of FREE expert advice on any horticultural issues which might arise.  In
inner-city forestry, colleague Gary and I have taken advantage of their
generous opportunities on many occasions, even having them tour our
neighborhood tree plantings and taking soil samples for analysis.  Some-
times they picked up a few tips from our own grass-roots work, isn't that
right, Gary?  It is important to understand that the universities learn
about local 'blights' and other problems from community inquiries and
that they tend to be very supportive of struggling environmental efforts.

Cultivating a friendly working relationship with your hometown extension
folks will reap benefits beyond what you can immediately envision.

The exact names tend to vary from locale to locale, and even from year
to year, but these usually include the phrases 'coop' and 'extension.'
Your telephone operator can probably find you a number for your 'coop
extension' -- try it out!  And don't think that your concerns are trivial,
because they will almost certainly thank you for your call.

Just as an example, here in Baltimore the U. of Maryland campus is for
medical professionals.  And yet the governmental blue pages list this:

	Maryland State Government
	State Colleges & Universities
	University of Maryland at Baltimore
	Cooperative Extension Service
		Administrator 17 S. Gay St. (410) 396-1753

(For the curious, the '396' indicates a City of Baltimore phone number!)

So give your Coop Extension a call.  They're looking forward to hearing
from you.  And let us hear about your results ...

Baltimore USDA Zone 7