in the name of diversity

Hi:  I've been lurking around these parts for a while and have been
interested in, practicing and participating in permaculture since before
hosting a permaculture design course in 1985 on our 36 acre farm with Dan
Hemenway.  Since then I grow much of our family's food and heating needs
(wood) along with performing a very active tree planting program.  Some of
this stuff is chronicled in my web sites:

www.csi-net.net/tomar
www.csi-net.net/tomar/milatrt
www.i2k.com/~maybar/
www.csi-net.net/tomar/slidshow/slidshow.htm

	It seems like many in this newsgroup have a commitment to the medium, namely
the internet and computing as exemplified by the database project.  I just
want to point out that there are alternatives to the standard microsoft or
macintosh based computing platforms with their emphasis on continuing their
monopolies through destructive corporate practices that rip off the little
guy.  I've been using linux for over 3 yrs nearly exclusively and have found
that it and other open source software to be very adequate for my needs and
don't have the guilt of helping line rich folks pockets.  Besides it is
better, not prone to crashes and works on older recycled machines.  Open
source software mimics natural ecosystems with its diversity and stability as
opposed to "monoculture" windows systems very prone to viruses.  The internet
a naturally open non-proprietary platform is in mortal danger of being
corrupted by corporate interests through the power of monopoly. Just my 2
cents worth.   Jon Towne