RE: Guardian article on Lomborg

There is nothing to answer in Lomborg's practical analysis: we are still
using oil; there is still tin, copper, chromium, phosphate, gold and silver.
It is simple to imagine new sources, new processes of extraction.  Even when
the world has eventually yielded its mineral deposits Lomborg will not be
proved wrong: because, surely, by then, there will be mine ships plying
interplanetary routes laden with the fruits of other worlds.

Cassandra will always be a lonely and destitute woman.

Penitential environmentalism is exposed to the pragmatic derision of the
status quo expressed through Lomborg and trite rebuttals are the stock of
modern politics not a thoughtful counter movement.  Any response must be
deliberate and profound however difficult and lengthy.  As we are
discovering in the illuminating discussion currently lead by Flick Wright,
the roots of our thinking go deep and an aboriginal interpretation (or other
cultural perspective) of Lomborg's analysis might enlighten an answer.

It is not insatiable technology but insatiable desire stripping the world.
It is not the exhaustion of oil, or tin, it is not the transformation of
rain forest to carbon dioxide and ash: this is the product and not the
source.

Lomberg is tangential.  He touches my concerns with his words but his
meaning is not mine.  Resources, finite or infinite, have nothing to do with
my belief in recycling, small is beautiful or my disgust at my societies
over consumption.  Nothing.

Souscayrous