Re: creating online plant database

Im willing to create the database & create a web interface for it as long as no one
is in a hurry to get it done.  My experience so far is that it isnt that complicated,
but there is an initial period of beta testing aspects of it to make sure it works on
different platforms (mac & pc) & on differerent browers (ie & netscape).  being a mac
person I definitely could tech all the mac aspects of it & possibly could get a work
buddy to help with the pc end.

the part where Im less clear how it could work would be the following.  suppose we
create a record for buartnut.  say 6 different people enter different data in the
same field, for instance in the field for USES.  how do we make sure that no one
overwrites anyone elses data?  what procedures would we use for verifying the
accuracy of the data?  something like this has the potential to be VERY valuable if
there is a core of people/sites slowly inputting their infos.

also Im just beginning to learn the intricasies of creating searches & this might be
an area where some assistance would be needed.  for instance what I would like to do
once this database gets going is to create a field  for SITE.  on the
dreamtimevillage.org website then I can hook to that database & have our webpage
display only those entries of plants that are growing at Dreamtime.  (there would
also be a web front end for the database as a whole which could also be separate
link)...

as for everyone's suggestions, if we are going to do something collective than I
would say that just about everything suggested is relevant to a plant database.
individual webpages can be configured to display whatever data that person felt was
relevent.

seems like a good cold weather project.

mIEKAL

"Lawrence F. London, Jr." wrote:

> >their
> >
> >> I can do that part here at ibiblio: password protected login
> >
> >i strongly support this project, but unfortunately i am of no help in
> >creating the base. i would certainly do my share in filling it with data.
> >the zope.org sure does look like the way to go - i will propably go into
> >that as soon as i have a bigger machine available (my harddrive is as full
> >as a drive can be - quite annoying, really), but this and the learning
> >process - so i wont be of help before 6 months or more.
> >
> >but (again), i would greatly appreciate to have this ressource available to
> >make my personal data collection available to others - currently it is
> >mostly on my bio-computer, and while people do use it a lot, it always needs
> >my participation, naturally.
>
> What more reason to do the DB than this. Let's go for it.
> John, Miekal, shall I set up a PW protected area for the project?
>
> LL
>
> L.F.London ICQ#27930345 lflondon@mindspring.com
> http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech  london@ibiblio.org
>
> ---