Re: creating online plant database

On Sun, 04 Nov 2001 20:53:44 -0600, mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net> wrote:

>Im creating a web-based database of all the plants growing at Dreamtime & wonder if
>there are specific categories that would be most useful to others.  Im a big fan of
>the plants for a future database, but it has a lot more categories & information than
>what I think is necessary for our project.
>
>the following categories come to mind:

common name(s)
>latin name
>hardiness
>uses
>part used
>how propagated
>

>is there anything obvious that Im leaving out?

when to harvest

moisture and drought tolerance & related siting & planting depth
requirements

pH requirement/tolerance - acid-loving/calciphobe / alkaline soil
loving

requirement for soil with stable populations of beneficial organisims
that provide nutrients for plant (i.e. some pine trees require
adequate beneficial soil fungi for sustenance to promote robust
growth)

type of soil/terrain/drainage required or preferred (moraine, scree,
sandy loam, gravelly, heavy soils, clay or silt loam, volcanic, rocky
etc.)

L.F.London ICQ#27930345 lflondon@mindspring.com
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech  london@ibiblio.org