Re: Greywater Question

I have always thought that the separation of grey and black water as more
of a gesture than truly practical, unless you are using composting
toilets.  I am much more interested in the black water because of the
nutrient load that would be beneficial to perennials.  A constructed
wetland or reedbed system has the benefit of treating both grey and black
water and making it available to irrigate.  It also sequesters pathogens
such as ecoli from the ground water.

Here in New Mexico, especially along riparian areas, the load from multiple
septic systems is finding its way into the aquifer, polluting both well
water and the river.  As population density increases this septic discharge
is raising the water level and accelerating the pollution of the aquifer.

Even grey water has some nutrient benefit, sloughed off skin, potassium and
phosphorous from soaps etc. all benefit plant growth.  Beware of high fats
and oils in soaps, body conditioners, hair conditioners etc. since the fats
tend to clog the soil and make it anaerobic.

I am using an evapo-transpiration system in a greenhouse with perennials
that takes all the water, both black and grey, and turns it into tropical
fruit.  This makes sense to me since I can not justify importing fruit from
South America to have bananas on my breakfast cereal.

Scott Pittman