Re: deer fencing

>I was wondering if anyone has direct experience with the deer fence design
>that uses two roughly 4-foot high fences about 4 feet apart running in
>parallel.... I'd rather not rip up
>the fence and build an 8-foot one, which is the only bomb-proof way I've
>found to deter deer.
Toby; in my last garden, once the mulies were in, they decided that an 8 foot
fence was an easy hop, considering the rewards. I added a 4 foot fence, *most
insubstantial*, 4 foot max, recycled scraps of rusty sheep fence & what have
you tied together with tie wire and occasionally stiffened with small bamboo
stakes. I used metal T posts (re-used) and steel pipe for posts, and mostly
tilted it slightly outwards. Between the two I left ennough space to allow
easy access for cutting blackberries and fence maintenance. Instant success.
I will not build concentration-camp style fences any more. And I am intrigued
with the possibilities of surrounding gardens with chicken runs, ("The
Chicken Moat") narrow pastures- you name it. And I like the pattern of
planting hedgerow-type plants inside; the deer do such a good job of pruning-
they get the hedge to thicken up quite nicely. But I have had nothing but
difficulty in getting clients and design course participants to include this
style of fencing in their mental list of what works.
-Rick

Rick Valley Northern Groves
PO Box 1236, Philomath, OR 97370
Mobile-(541)602-1315, hm.& msg. (541)456-4364  Bamboo catalog $3 or at
<http://www.teleport.com/~dbrooks/bamboo.html>
"Useful Bamboos and other plants‹ Permaculture education‹ Ecological design &
consultation centering on water,landform and horticultural systems"