Re: "Invasives" was Chemical Residuals

Eric Storm says:

>Hugh Lovel wrote:
>
>> Controlling Johnson grass and wild mustard, and to a lesser extent
>> Bermuda, crabgrass, pigweed, lamb's quarters and a number of other
>> invasive, persistent annual and perenial weeds in working farm fields
>> where grass/grain/bean crops need to be grown, is a serious issue for
>> conventional farmers. Johnson grass, for example, is a huge problem if
>> allowed to spread by seed or by rhizome as well. The seeds get in the
>> tractors and implements and get spread to other fields if not blown
>> off with air or water hose.  These plants compete with crops for
>> space, nutrients and water, but worse, if allowed to go to seed, get
>> harvested, especially in hay, and get spread wherever the hay is
>> distributed; if out in the field for beef cattle, sheep or goats, then
>> it will be there when that field is put/rotated from grazing to crop.
>> The bottom line is to eradicate it mechanically and with cover crops
>> before putting in grass/grain/bean crops or even use it for grazing.
>
>I wonder what these plants, and many others species on the planet, think of
>us.  They may be having the same conversations saying, "Those humans are so
>invasive; they compete for space, nutrients and water, and worse, if
>allowed to reproduce."
>
>Eric Storm

Eric,

These are not my words, but are only something I quoted in an effort to rebutt. I market garden and have all of the species mentioned above without considering them a problem. I do use cover crops--of which corn is my favorite as it can even give Johnson Grass a set-back. But mechanical eradication is rarely on my agenda. I've found that the above "weeds" generally are my friends.

Hugh Lovel