Re: We are one-fish'n cat tails

>>I have a problem with Cat tails clogging up the
>>pond in the Guarani indian reservation where I work once a week here in
>>Sao Paulo, Brasil. I hear that they are edible, but don't know if the
>>Guarani would be into eating them, as they are pretty traditional in their
>>ways. Apart from pulling them out by the roots, is there some way that we
>>can reclaim the pond to stock some fish???

   One thing that cattails are very useful for is the pollen that they
contain. The pollen can be eaten, although its protein is of questionable
availability. Another use is to give to honey bees to help them raise brood.
Perhaps you could get a contract with some local beekeepers off(or on?) the
reservation.
   The following is an excerpt from Keeping Bees by John Vivian:

        "You may find wild pollen in harvestable quantities in a cattail
swamp, but not until well after the critical early spring weeks are past. To
save some for next year, bang ripe cattail heads against the side of a
garbage can with a plastic bag in it. Winnow out the cattail frass and
freeze the pollen."

        Please tell us about the pond, its lining(and drainage/ overflow) as
well as the topography of the immediate surrounding land. This will help us
to visualize.
        Also-- the fact that cattails have taken over a sizable(and
presumably deep) pond may be an indicator of some kind of imbalance that
nature is attempting to correct(or that nature prefers) Have you taken a
sample for analysis lately? It may not be wise to grow clearwater fish in an
environment that cattails have a strong advantage in. It might be a good
place for tasty frogs or catfish, perhaps freshwater crayfish. Before I add
anything else-- has the pond always been overtaken by cattails?

                                    --Donahuer@ols.net