Re: fresh water at beach?

Aloha,

More info on that desalination project - the pilot project leading to the
actual project at Miloli'i was done at the HI Natural Energy Lab, according
to this:

"Solar-Powered Desalination, Hawaii
Based on favorable results of a small-scale, solar-powered water
desalination demonstration project conducted at the Natural Energy
Laboratory of Hawaii Authority at Keahole, Kona, a larger version of the
system is being constructed in the community of Milolii on the Island of
Hawaii. The system is designed to operate on solar thermal power and to
produce up to 1,000 gallons of fresh water per day."

...from the Hawai'i DBEDT site at

http://www.hawaii.gov/dbedt/ert/sol_t_hi.html

So I would guess that the NELHA folks could put you in touch with whomever
is doing the Miloli'i project, if it's still got funding, etc. (I think it
was being done with community econ. development grants of some kind).  A
person named Max Goldberg or Goldberger was a principal in the project a
number of years ago when I first saw it.  NELHA is at:

http://www.nelha.org/
Contact info:
Natural Energy Laboratory of Hawaii Authority
73-4460 Queen Kaahumanu Hwy. Ste. 101
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
PH: (808) 329-7341
FAX: (808) 326-3262