Re: Neem

At 06:03 AM 9/9/00 -0700, you wrote:
Has anyone out there had anything to do with  the Neem Tree (Azadirachta
indica) neem oil or neem leaf  for pesticide control in orchards or
vegetable gardens?   I have the web site and am interested in any first
hand information.  Thankyou.   Deanna
I've used neem oil for control of squash beetle which worked great until I stopped using it and then I got a monster hatch and lost most of my plants.
This was a bottle that I inherited from previous tenants and I can't bring myself to buy more after reading Vandana Shiva's writing on how WR Grace company, who provide neem oil in the U.S., ripped off the cultural heritage of India by patenting the neem byproducts as an insecticide.  I have often wondered if Chinaberry (Melia azedarach) would work, it also contains the triterpinoids (antifeedants), and I assume, like Neem,  the chemical that stops ecdysis in insects.  Chinaberry is also known as White Cedar and grows very well in the South, it grows to zone 5 in New Mexico.

Anyone done any experiments with Chinaberry?

Scott