Re: Bt and butterflies, was Re: sanet-mg-digest V1 #1760

Toby:

I don't know whether this is happening in the wild, but it is definitely
happening in the fields.  There has been quite a bit of local uproar here,
as corn is our states number 1 product.

At least one corn producer that I am personally acquainted with has ceased
the use of this seed.  He was very adamant at the beginning, "Best seed on
the market, highest yield, more profit (other than he couldn't collect any
seed)".  He is now actively working with our local Citizens Action Commitee
to educate the public on the possible dangers of consumption of this
particular corn.  He wasn't 'too' concerned when he first noticed the death
of the butterfly's, but after the third season, he went to our local
extension officer (his degree is in entomolgy/ag.) and they have definite
laboratory results stating death was due to this particular pollen.

There have also been numerous accounts of this particular problem through
the media, citizen action groups, organic news and herb foundations.  I
believe that is was through HerbNet that I first became aware of the
issue.

I don't 'believe' that it can happen in the wild, as the seed is very
controlled and the plant cannot self pollinate, but I wouldn't stake
anything on that belief.  All I can definitely state is "If the butterfly's
are dying from eating the pollen, I don't want to eat the product". But I
also believe that this will probably be one of those wait and see
situations, as nature has a way of taking control and may just mutate the
pollen so that it can self-pollinate or cross pollinate.

Insects, amphibians, etc. are great indicators of what is happening on our
planet, I think we should really start to pay attention to the losses of
entire groups of species.

And speaking of Monarchs, I hate to admit this, but for 5 continuous years,
I removed all of those 'big black and yellow caterpillars' from my milkweed
plants because they were eating the leaves.  I 'humanely' removed them to
the park, where of course, there is no milkweed.  I've begun to seriuosly
educate myself regarding WHAT I consider a 'pest' over the past few years.

Blessings,
Ava