Re: Punaculture, part II - or, My Land in Hawai'i

John:

I'm finding your story very enjoyable and look forward to the next
'series'.

But, I noticed the remark regarding 'nasty invasive weeds', do you know
what the weeds are?  If you can identify them for me, I may be able to
offer you some great insights into making these weeds a viable portion of
your land, possibly giving you uses for them that you may not have
considered.  And tips on keeping them 'in check'.

Also, as a charter member of United Plant Savers, I'd like to ask if you
are aware of the great efforts in Hawaii to save the Kava Kava population.
They are doing some wonderful grass roots research there regarding
cultivation of these giant trees, as they are now considered 'At-Risk' due
to the growing interest in the use of Kava Kava as a natural muscle
relaxant which, remarkably, also clears the mind, instead of fogging it.

If you have an interest in participating in this project, or gaining
additional knowledge, there is more information at UpS website
www.plantsavers.org  The Executive Director of UpS is Dr. Richard Liebmann,
N.D., he's in Hawaii and I think his e-mail address is liebmann@hawaii.net,
but I'm not positive.  They do have his e-mail address listed at the UpS
website, or he can also be contacted at info@plantsavers.org  UpS has been
hosting many conferences, etc. in Hawaii and is always looking for active
participants who share a mission in sustaining our native plants, herbs and
medicinals.

Blessings,
Ava