Re: one-duck revolution (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 20:22:40 -0700
From: Beth Lischeron <dragon@islandnet.com>
Subject: Re: one-duck revolution (fwd)

This is great! I am so pleased to hear of more 'perma' methods being taken
up (and in this case initiated by) Japanese farmers - and give myself a
teensy tiny gold star for tiny seeds I may have helped to plant, although I
must defer to  friends - one in particular, Tracey Lauriault, who actually
was the first person to introduce Permaculture to Japanese people in the
little village we lived in (she a decade ago, me later) - from which has
grown quite a strong movement - I organized a weekend 'hands-on perma'
workshop there (in Fujino) with my then partner, a Scottish Perm.
Designer... and the turnout was tremendous!

But re: the ducks, I recall seeing this a a very long-standing tradition of
integrated rice management in Bali -  the book 'Man on Earth' by John Reader
has a chapter on this, and its integration with the intricately balanced
Balinese religious system(s) - as well as thei water management strategies -
a very fine book, which I wanted to mention when this topic came up a few
weeks ago but didn't have a chance to!

salamat pagee! (as the Balinese people call out to each other across the
fields on misty humid mornings... sigh... greetings to you all!

Beth