RE: Sobering Stats to Contemplate

Aloha,

-----Original Message-----
From: Toby Hemenway [mailto:hemenway@jeffnet.org]

>I was idly leafing through a copy of Forbes yesterday, and read that
>"over 300 million computers are in use today." That means, given a
>population of 5-6 billion, that not 1, but 5 or 6 of our villagers would
>own a computer.

I think this quote is most relevant (I always heard it attributed as an old,
old journalists' saying, myself):

>Mark Twain (via Disraeli): "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned
>lies, and statistics."

Where I work, there are several hundred computers that are "in use," but not
by any one person and not owned by them either - there are certainly far
more computers than employees at our location.  I suspect the majority of
computers in the computerized world (a very very small part of the world)
are not owned by nor accessible to any individual "villager."

So it all comes down to lies, damned lies, statistics *and* semantics.

A number of years ago a small-scale dryland taro farmer I was briefly
working for asked me if a home computer would be useful for his farming
work.  I came up with all sorts of uses for one...but were I answering that
question now, I'd say "I doubt it, except for keeping your books if they're
complicated enough to warrant it."  What he had that was most valuable was
his living, embodied knowledge of his soil, plants, weather and so on - a
computer would only get in his way in that realm.

John Schinnerer