Re: magic formula

>Skye wrote:
> I'd like to look at your question from the other end. . . .So, I guess,
rather
> than asking how much land do I need, you could start by acknowledging
> that morally (ie you have the same rights as everyone else - and they
> have the same rights as you), you have the right to 1.5 hectares per
> person. . . . - in terms of productive land - you only have the right to
> 0.25 hectares!!!!
> - lets not take the figures too literally
> or too far - BUT it does give an interesting perspective to your
> question!!!

>Good input, Skye!  I agree that this is the moral perspective.  It seems
sufficient now, but it's getting smaller all the time.  How much land is
set aside for wildlife and non-human manipulated landscapes?  Can
individuals morally have large Permaculture properties without using it to
support many others?  Do the carrying capacities of our local regions
require certain types of land use and population limits?  Obviously
population is a key issue in sustainability.  Tough issues here!  Good food
for thought.  Thanks!
Eric Storm<

Skye et al, I'm having a problem with this concept of humans having a right
to a certain area of land.  I know you said not to take this too far and
I'm probably doing just that; however, it begs other questions:  If humans
have a right to 0.25 HA of land, wouldn't deer have rights to that same
land?  What about the trees?  Don't they have rights to the land?  Are we
supposed to turn every hectare of land into production to maximize the
humans?  Are we being egocentric here in assuming that humans have rights
above every other thing?
Gene