Re: [permaculture] weeds? (Star thistle)

Just curious, as I've read about the benefits of dandelion as a green manure/cover crop
sort of thing recently. Would this star thistle offer some sort of vitamin/mineral
enhancement to the soils if it was mowed just prior to flowering?  Maybe it can serve
as a soil enhancer?  Would anyone know of succession-type plants that may be sown after
this thistle does its "enhancing"?  Also, does anyone know the scientific name of this
plant so I can look at it more?

Thanks,
Kelley