Re: Hardy Kiwi

>I was thinking of starting to grow hardy kiwi. Does anyone have any
>experience with thim, such as how big of a trellis would I need. Also, is
>there enough shade to grow a shade lover such as ginseng. How much
>maintenence is needed. Thanks in advance for your answers. Rick

By hardy Kiwi, do you mean Kiwi Fruit? If so, I can share a little
about them. We bought a garden with an established Kiwi about 3 years
ago in a coolish climate (frosts in winter, but otherwise full sun).
Just the one pair of plants spreads from the main trunk about 5m in
two directions. It is supported by a very solid metal piping frame.
At this size it is very heavy and attached very tightly.  As soon as
the fruit has set be ruthless with the male tendrils, they will
attach to anything nearby and grab on for dear life. They had got
about 5m up a nearby gum and was strangling it when we arrived. More
importantly they are taking nutrients away from the fruit.

I'm sure others control their Kiwi better, but we don't do much to
ours in the way of maintenence (except for cutting back the tendrils)
and it yields great crops and fabulously sweet fruit. Watch out for
birds, they absolutely love Kiwi fruit.
Hope this is useful.

Cathy