Re: seabuckthorn & the the vitamin C invasion

  I have since heard many warnings
>about their invasive nature.  How fast do they spread, are others on the
>list growing them, does it make sense to plant them in the middle of a
>fairly compast 2 acre demonstration or are they better put along
>roadside, eroded areas etc, or perhaps in a goatbrowse area?  They (the
>seabuckthorns) are asking to be planted, would appreciate any comments.
>Do they spread by suckering or by seed?

In my homecountry, Belarus, they do not spread at all (temperate climate,
720 mm rain, -20C winter, +27C summer)Our research on sea buckthorn shows
that there are several spp. of it from a small multiple stem bush, to a
fairly tall tree with single trunk (the last one is commonly grown in
Western Russia, far from coasts). First sea buckthorn grew on the playground
in my kindergarten, and never caused any problems, but brought fun and
berries. It was a  single trunk tree at least 15 feet tall.

Arina
Scott Pittman

Permaculture Institute, USA
PO Box 3702, Pojoaque, NM 87501  US