Re: Sustainable Building Materials

Hello MIke,

<<We have spent much of our time over the last 3 years struggling with these

issues.  The conclusions we have reached after many mistakes:>>

I find myself in the same quandry.
Trying to balance space needs, personal requirements and environmentally
sensitive building and $$$ is a real dilemma.
I have just purchased farm in a very rural area of south central Kentucky
about an hour or so south of Lexington...fortunately there are no building
codes except as regards a permit for a leach field.

I've looked into straw bale, cob , rammed earth, CAL walls etc and all seem to
have problems or require expert/experienced talent in same. Love the
"concepts" . Since walls too only make up about 15% of a building's cost
savings may or may not be what is anticipated. So much depends on sweat
equity, abvailable "free" labor, cost of local materials, equipment needed
etc. So hard figures are difficult to find.

While we have not made final decision we are leaning toward the following
systems, and components:

1)Timber frame construction over crawl space or possibly full or partial
basement.
( What would you advise?) We have a number of nearby saw mills and so are
hoping to make a good deal on overstocked suitable logs that we can have sawed
at 12 to 15 cents a foot locally. Oak comes to mind but is fairly expensive.
I'm considering beech, which costs less, and is plentiful. Any comments on "
best" wood...price, strength, workability, weight, insect resistance,
shrinkage are some of the  factors in that selection.

2) Use of structurally insulated panels for high insulation values, air
tightness, ease of construction. Walls would be insulated to R25, Roof to R55.

3) Had planned on metal roof with baked enamel or ceramic? finish for better
rain water collection. But have found that $$$ for such a roof might be quite
high, and that unless baked on finish is well sealed that water off metal roof
may contain high levels of zinc, and other metals(lead?...can't remember study
results right now) that are harmful even after a few hours of rain. So even if
you set up a system to drain off several minutes of first run off you could
still have a problem.
Thatched roof sounds great...but who has the skills and expertise to build
such a roof today . Seems amateur attempts could lead to major problems if not
done well...and that could result in expensive repair/replacement.
Seems all asphalt shingles would leach mineral grits etc.
Slate would be great...but too expensive.
Ceramic tile too. Not sure about some of new concrete materials?

We are considering a 12 over 12 oe even 15 over 12 to get more height, and
space in the attic.

Appreciate your comments on the above.

Heating/Cooling

We hope to rely on good ventilation system that would use a variety of
devices...ceiling fans, small fans, transoms, floor registers and good cross
ventilation from well placed windows for distribution of conditioned air.

So we are leaning towards high efficiency ground source heat pump on an in
ground horizontal loop . Since we plan to have a solar room for passive solar
gain that could reduce our heating requirement by 50% or more we can undersize
that system plus there is a local rebate program that will cut costs.

We love a fireplace, and have lots of free wood but the costs of chimney
construction, fire potential, maintenance costs etc. have us leaning towards
an outdoor water furnace, which can drive a hot water system, which we prefer
over hot air. It also makes hot water when in use.

For back up we have a number of electric baseboard units, and small heaters.
I'm not sure what the best backup would be for electrical outage since water
furnace, and heat pump use electricity. We are considering an ONAN generator
as a backup but they run several thousands dollars for a low speed model that
runs off propane. We are told that gasoline can be a problem if system is only
used periodically.

We are also planning the space for a fireplace and wall in the center of the
home so that it can be added at a later date $$$ permitting. Someone mentioned
that a new chimney cost over $10,000.

Not sure whether we will need a water heater with above system, but am
considering Aqua Star on demand heater.

We'd like to use composting toilets, but we are uncertain over performance,
and units run well over $1000. We have heard  of odor problems , and some to
facilitate "composting", and odors use electricity and exhaust fans for such.

We hope to install a rain water collection system, and also have water drawn
and stored from a spring and run through filters for household purposes.
We want to include a greywater treatment system at a later date, planning and
piping will be included from the start. Later we will build the lagoons and
utilize plants/gravel/sand to help purify water (like the systems John Todd
developed  at New Alchemy many years ago. )

We will build in as much sweat equity as possible, have professionals do heavy
labor and fully close in the home.

Long access of home will face south. Good use of daylighting.
We also like the exterior look of a 2.5 story early American farmhouse...kind
of like the New England saltbox without the exaggerated roof slope to the
north side.

I could go on:)  but I'll end here.

 Details , recommended equipment. sizes etc.
If you are using any of these systems in your home, or products I'd sure like
to have your comments, and the details on brand, model # , size , capability,
maintenance etc..   Thanks so much.  Bright Blessings to all.   Frank

A whole lot of planning and design goes into this process.