Re: GBlist: Dustmites

Loren Abraham (loren@cstone.net)
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 14:37:03 -0500

Glen:
You have already received some good poop on your question, but
I'll pile a little more on. One of my sons cannot tolerate dust
or dust mites at all. His face swells up like a red balloon and
he cannot breathe. He has other allergies as well. Here are the
measures we have taken and with some noted improvement:

1. We eliminated the old mattress and box spring and use only a
solid foam rubber mattress.
2. We use a PVC mattress cover which was somewhat irritating when
new but seems to be OK now. (As has already been illuded to,
these need to be replaced periodically, as they fall apart).
3. We use plain percal sheets over a bed pad and wash them at
least once a week. The pad helps because you do not want the skin
in direct contact with the PVC for a number of reasons, but mostly
as the skin must breathe.
4. Originally he used a fiberfill pillow with a plastic cover, but
he seems to prefer a foam pillow with a cotton cover and a percal
pillow case washed weekly.
5. No fragrances and no coloring in the laundry detergent. This
is VERY important, as fragrances in detergents and fabric
softeners leave residues which are extremely irritating to the
respiratory systems and skin of many people with allergies. Our
son can have an asthmatic attack brought on by the frangrance in
laundry detergents. Obviously brands such as Earthrite and Ecover
are OK, but we also like ALL Free and Clear Liquid laundry
detergent. If you must use fabric softener, Downey has a new
product which they
claim to be free of fragrances, Ultra Downey Free, with some kind
of citrus additive which is not a perfume. I'm still skeptical
but my wife likes it.
6. His room (and the entire house) has hardwood floors which we
try to sweep daily and he has no rugs or curtains, just blinds
which get washed frequently.
7. The bed has a solid particle board bottom and sides all the way
to the floor which helps to keep those dust bunnies out from under
the bed.

As to the RH, I think it is just as much a problem to have too
little as too much. We have to use a humidifier in winter to
maintain an adequate RH or he has problems breathing. In the
summer we run a dehumidifier in the basement to control mildew.
We are planning to get several of the air filtering units which
combine De-ionization, Charcoal and HEPA filtration media and
place one in his room. With no carpets in our house we don't use
a vacuum cleaner at all_ just a broom and a mop. Vacuum cleaner
bags are dust mite heaven. If you cannot live without one, get
one that has a HEPA filter.

Since we have adopted the above regimen, our son has had very few
problems at home. He is currently experiencing allergic reactions
at school, however, possibly from the carpeting there. We are
considering home schooling. Hope this helps.

Loren Abraham

> From: RDSGlen@aol.com
> To: greenbuilding@crest.org
> Subject: GBlist: Dustmites
> Sender: owner-greenbuilding@crest.org

> I would like more information on controlling dustmites in
bedding. Thanks.