GBlist: Re: environmentally-sound diesel fuel/office tower

Len Walde (sigma@ix.netcom.com)
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 20:00:40 -0800

Jorg Ostrowski wrote:

> Further to the attached note, does anyone know whether it is possible to
> convert a diesel generator to an environmentally-sound fuel. The
> application is a 50 story office structure that uses its emergency
> generator 50 hours a year for the city's peak shaving requirements.It
> would be interesting to see any possibility of using this paid-for but
> seldomly used generator as a co-genset for electrical and heating
> requirements, and possibly export of power. Any constructive suggestions
> and references welcomed.
> Jorg Ostrowski, M. Arch. A.S. (MIT), B. Arch. (Toronto), Ecotect
> - in full-time professional practice since 1976, strawbale work since 1978
> - living a conserver lifestyle & working in a sustainable home and office
> Web Site [under construction]: http://www.ucalgary.ca/~jdo/ecotecture.htm
>
> On Wed, 19 Mar 1997 kl@bigfoot.com wrote:
>

> > While I have no experience with this myself, I have heard that diesel
> > engines will run very nicely on liquid vegetable cooking oil.
> >
> > Kathleen
> >

> > > I hope this is the right forum for this question since I don't think it
> > > could be composted. But other than sneeking behind a restaurant and
> > > throwing it in their rendering bin, WHAT IS THE BEST WAY OF GETTING RID
> > > OF, (OR RECYCLING) USED HOUSEHOLD COOKING GREASE AND OILS?
> > > --
> > > Rob Schmitt
> > > mogollon@flagstaff.az.us
> > > wb7qdq@n7cee.az.us.noam
> >
> > Kathleen Lewis

I have a "recollection" ( an old phrase :-) ) that one or more past
issues of "Mother Earth News" ran an article or two on using veg. oil in
diesel engines. Maybe one of our contributors or " Lurkers" can find
it for you. If I run across it i will let you know.

"For what it's worth" Len Walde, P.E.