Re: GBlist: HEPA Vacuum

In a message dated 4/29/97 6:19:23 PM, DBrook@aol.com wrote:

>Several people mentioned the Miele vacuum for low dust production. Consumer
>Reports tested it in a recent report and indicated there were others that
>were also low dust producing for less money.  By the way, I'm quite sure the
>Miele isn't really a HEPA model.   I'm told some good HEPA models are
>available for LESS than the Miele though in a more industrial package -
about
>$500.

Snip
It is true that Miele makes several models of vacuum cleaners.  The cheaper
ones (under $500) do not have HEPA filters, but the better models are capable
of being optionally fitted with true HEPA filters (at about $50 per filter).
 I have checked--the HEPA filters are really HEPA, not just HEPA-type.

`Several other filtration systems make claims for capturing dust and
particulates at very small sizes--but look at the percentages.  True HEPA
captures 99.97% of particles at .3 micron in size.  That means that 3
particles at that size get through the filter for every 10,000 it sees.  The
other 9,997 particles are captured in the densely packed glass fibers of the
filter.  This is the minimum efficiency required to call a filter "HEPA."
 Less efficient filters called "HEPA-type" do not meet these standards.  The
best of the HEPA-type filters can capture only 95% of particles at .3 micron.
 This means that of the thousands and thousands of particles contaminating a
typical building, many of them can pass through less efficient filters and be
re-injected into the air of the rooms you are trying to clean.  These minute
particles are the ones most likely to cause respiratory problems for people
with allergies, respiratory disease or chemical sensitivities.

Two other brands of true HEPA filtered vacuums using ergonomics and features
appropriate for household use are Nilfisk and Euroclean.

Again--the message is clear:  nothing is better than a centrally installed
vacuum unit with ducted exhaust.

David Kibbey, Environmental Building Consultant
Berkeley, CA
IAQKibbey@aol.com