Re: GBlist: Carpenter Ants

Regarding Ian Shapiro's query on carpenter ants and some other postings, I
believe it is a fallacy to think that carpenter ants will only tunnel
through moist or rotted wood. From what I understand about carpenter ants,
they prefer tunneling through soft, rotted wood, because it's less work
(life foam insulation), but they will also tunnel through solid wood.
Furthermore, once they establish nesting cavities in solid wood, they
elevate the local humidity, which leads to rotting.

So, yes, carpenter ants often are indicators of moisture problems or
rotting in a house, but it is not a foregone conclusion that those moisture
problems existed prior to the ants.

General measures for reducing risk of carpenter ant infestations include
keeping the building clean and free of food scraps, crumbs, etc, avoiding
vegetation right against the house, and building tightly with few easy
entry points from the exterior.

I have had good luck eliminating carpenter ant infestations with
"bait"-type insecticides, which workers carry back to the colony. "Combat"
makes one of these products. The poison is carried back to the colony where
others eat it and die horrible deaths. They are probably highly toxic, but
also highly targeted, thus avoiding broader applications. I've also had
infestation problems in cellulose insulation.

Alex Wilson, Publisher
Environmental Building News