Re: GBlist: Wood bad?

Fred --

Thanks for your comments.  I will try to clarify our goals and explain our
position.  Perhaps we have more in common than you think.  First of all,
we agree that wood is a beautiful material and there are appropriate uses
of wood in building construction (read = we are pro-wood). We also agree
that wood can be a renewable resource and is potentially recyclable (most
of the time, depending on whether the wood is treated with toxins and/or
asbestos, and whether there is a market for recycled wood products (and
of course whether the wood is actually recycled).

However, the reality is that the U.S. consumes an inordinate amount of
industrial wood, with per capita wood consumption in the US three times
higher than in developing countries and twice that of other industrialized
countries.  In the U.S. alone, 95% of our original forests have been cut,
leaving only 5% in their natural condition.

This destruction of forests to meet the demand for wood products leads to
global deforestation, polluted watersheds and fisheries, increased air
pollution and clogged landfills.  Not to mention the havoc wreaked on
forest ecosystems and the disruption of local communities and economies
over time.

The transnational timber industry contends this demand for virgin wood
products is not a problem because wood is renewable and the annual growth
of US forests exceeds timber harvests by 33% each year.  However, they do
not differentiate between young sapwood trees and high-quality heartwood,
or between diverse natural forests and single-species tree farms.  Tree
farms are a collection of trees, and not a forest because they do not
foster or protect biodiversity.  Further, most tree farms rely heavily on
pesticides, are prone to disease and produce low quality wood.

We believe a good majority of the building industry is concerned with
deteriorating lumber quality, increasing prices and deforestation.  In
addition, standard practice often involves taking wood from its highest
state, the forest, putting it into a structure and removing it immediately
to its lowest state, the landfill or incinerator. We would like to see
that lifespan increased.

Thus, we advocate numerous strategies for reducing demand for new wood in
construction.  These include reusing existing structures, designing
smaller buildings/homes and making them compatible for multiple-uses,
dismantling buildings and salvaging the wood for reuse,
utilizing recycled wood products, wielding advanced framing techniques,
purchasing certified wood, and using alternative buiding materials such as
rammed earth and straw bale and recovered wood and agricultural wastes.

I hope this helps explain our project goals.  We want wood used
intelligently, conservatively and efficiently (read = reduce consumption
of wood). If you would like more information, please let me know.

Nicole Capretz, Essential Information Essential Information | Internet:
ncapretz@essential.org