GBlist: Wood salvage & reuse

I've been passively reading through the listserv messages since mid-April
and I've learned a lot.  I certainly enjoyed Mike O'Brien's passionate
treatise, no kidding.

I wanted to share with you the fact that U.S. EPA headquarters (in
partnership with the Natl Assoc of Home Bldrs Research Center) is currently
concluding a case study on deconstruction (building disassembly to maintain
the integrity of the building's components for reuse).

There's a motley crew of us out here who are exploring this alternative to
demolition and the myriad of benefits that may result: job creation,
business development, resource conservation, reduced production of
greenhouse gases, etc.  Among the many players on our "team", Bob Falk of
the USDA Forests Products Lab is doing some analysis of reclaimed wood,
testing the structural integrity of decades-old materials.  The fledgling
organization, The Used Building Materials Association, is planning a
conference in Denver this fall.  A few military bases have done some
exploratory deconstruction, as have some private sector entrepreneurs (esp.
on the West Coast).

I just wanted to throw this out there.  Interested?  Drop me a line and
we'll send you a copy of our completed case study or any additional
information that I might be able to provide.  I would also appreciate
information on any deconstruction-related activities you are aware of.  I
am helping to craft a national welfare-to-work proposal that might have
deconstruction as the centerpiece.
Thanks!