Re: GBlist: wet spray cellulose insulation

Michael Schulde asked about experiences with wet-spray cellulose. I used
the material seven years ago in constructing the building that houses the
four-person Environmental Building News office. It is a timber frame
building with in-fill 2x6 walls (profligate waste from a wood standpoint I
know). Wet-spray was sprayed into the 2x6 wall cavities by an insulation
contractor in Massachusetts. I designed the wall system to be more
permeable toward the exterior (board sheathing instead of plywood, Tyvek,
wood clapboards), and I used a polyethylene vapor retarder on the interior.
I had the luxury in my construction schedule of allowing the insulation to
dry for about two weeks before installing the poly and drywall; any
residual moisture after that was able to escape to the exterior.

I was very pleased with the insulation. Though it cost more than
fiberglass, installation was much faster--the contractors spent a day on it
and the place was nicely cleaned by the time they left. The building has
performed well and I have no complaints, except for a carpenter ant problem
in the insulation in one corner for a while.

That said, I will add that while I am still a strong proponent of cellulose
insulation, I am not AS avid a proponent of the material as I once was. In
the past few years, dozens of de-inking plants have come on-line in North
America. This makes it possible for old newspaper to be turned into new
newsprint. In manufacturing cellulose insulation, we are "down-cycling" the
old newspaper into a lower-grade use. I think insulation is still a good
use for some old newspaper, but less is going to landfills as in the past.

Alex Wilson