GBlist: A Note on Tone and Respect

Edward and all Listers

The Green Building Mailing List--your discussion group--has distinguished
it self as a forum of high intellectual quality. We can also be proud of
ourselves for maintaining a high degree of decorum and respect for all
members of our group. This decorum can be traced in part to private
messages that Nadav and I sometimes send to members asking them to "cool
it."

Edward Hartnett's recent comments (examples quoted below) the prompt me
to post this note of caution to the entire group. We like to keep the
discussion focused on issues and facts. When opinions come into play, as
they will and should, I think it is essential that we be respectful of
everyone's opinions. I feel that some of Ed's recent comments threatened
to cross the line of respect.

Ed, I don't think you comments were too far over the top. However, your
post offers a good opportunity to remind all members that it's tempting
to get carried away. Jokes and sarcasm are difficult to communicate
through email. The tone of a comment can easily be misunderstood. Please
be careful and err on the side of caution.

Again, I'm posting this to the list not to single Ed out, but as a
general reminder to all members. Banging on a keyboard is like sitting in
your car, you feel as if you're in a protective bubble. We all need to be
careful of "aggressive driving" on the cyber highway, too.

Bruce S (A moderator)