GBlist: Re: Asbestos

>I wonder if anyone can provide an information on the issue of asbestos
> containment in old buildings.

This reply is a little dated as I've been out of town (mountain biking in
Moab), but I remodled a house a few years ago with an asbestos "popcorn"
ceiling.  I think the asbestos solution depends on where and how it is
placed in the old building, but for this particular situation, there was
one clear way to deal with it.

Removing it was by far the worst thing one could possibly do.  That would
guarantee its spread into the environment.

Encapulating it, which is what the EPA and everyone recommended, seemed
foolish.  I looked into all the encapsulation methods and materials, and
they all were just glorified paint, at ridiculous prices.

Solution:  we just drywalled over the top of it.  This was almost cheaper
than painting it ("encapsulating it"), and definitly sealed it from the
living area.  Plus, we got rid of the "stalagtite" look.  (Do you think
100 years from now style-conscious homeowners will be paying big money to
have artisans imitate the styles that we currently find idiotic?)

Buzz Burrell
Bolder Building
Boulder, CO