GBlist: How do you test water quality?

Speaking of water quality...

I just bought some land in the rocky mountains where my wife and I are
going to build a house. There is a little pond on the land (we're not
considering it for household water). There is a kind of soapy scum on top
of the water.

How can I figure out what this stuff is?

More generally, if I look at a stream or pond, are there any easy chemical
tests I can run on the water? For example I could take the Ph, but what
would that tell me?

I know I can send water in for testing and I will do that for water we'll
use in the house. But I am also interested in the water that runs around
and on my land. Who knows, maybe I can stop some pollution if I could only
identify problem areas.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Ed