re: GBlist: Natural Linoleum

Bruce:

"ter·raz·zo   n. A flooring material of marble or stone chips set in mortar
and polished when dry. [Italian, perhaps from Old Provençal terrassa,
terrace. See TERRACE.]" --  American Heritage Dictionary.

"A finsih floor material consisting of concrete with an aggregate of marble
chips selected for size and color, which is ground and polished smooth after
curing." Edward Allen, "Fundamentals of Building Construction: Materials and
Methods." Second Edition. New York: John Wiley and Sons.1990. p. 796.

Also, "Terrazzo is an exceptionally durable flooring." Allen, op. cit.,
1990. p. 766.

For a more detailed and useful explanation, see
Don A. Watson, "Construction Materials and Processes," Second Edition, New
York: McGraw Hill, 1978.

Also,
Olin, Schnidt, and Lewis, "Construction: Principles, materials, and
Methods," Chicago: The Institute of Financial Education and Danville,
Illinois, Interstate Printers and Publishers, 1980.  p. 453-2 ff.

At 07:54 AM 5/9/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Forgive my ignorance. What is terrazzo?
>

>>Everything emits, it is just a matter
>>of what and how much. consider wood, terrazzo, ceramic tile, or exposed
>>concrete floors for alternatives with potentially lower emissions.

>.-

Hal Levin	  <hlevin@cruzio.com>
Hal Levin & Associates
2548 Empire Grade, Santa Cruz, CA 95060-9748
408.425.3946  fax 408.426.6522