Re: GBlist: Strawbale not good for humid, mixed heating andcooling climates -Reply2x

Arnie,

Thanks for your reply. Regarding what I believe:
1) Straw bale construction can make as much sense in mixed climates as
anywhere.
2) Coming from a builder-owner, time-honored tradition of cut and shim
technology, I ASSUME the skin will inevitably leak--hence my damage-control
hedge of the overhang. My advice is give the outer skin and the flashing
your best shot, but don't bet the house on it. Don't tempt the fates. Use a
generous overhang and keep the water off the walls to begin with.

Generous overhangs make even more sense in a southern climate like the
North Carolina case in point where we spend more money on cooling than on
heating, whether its because of heating/cooling degree days, or because the
cost of cooling fuels (electricity) are higher than heating costs (gas,
wood, passive solar, sawdust, etc.). Plus, generous overhangs cry out to
cover a porch which keeps you out of the grass which is where chiggers lie
in wait.

But I digress.

Yes, a straw bale system that includes something that equates to the
"building paper drainage plane to deal with water" you suggested makes
sense.

You wrote: "Ron: the question is whether you believe you can build a "skin"
that will
never leak. Traditional stucco assumes there will be leaks whether there
is proper flashing or not, and utilizes a building paper drainage plane to
deal with the water that they know will eventually get in. Presumably,
straw bale builders could do something similar, although I've never seen
those details".

Ron Hughes
THE WHOLE HOUSE
http://www.energyhome.com