GBlist: Re: cotton batt insulation

Hi -
Does anyone have experience with Greenwood Cotton Batt insulation?
We specified it on a job and now have 620 square feet of supposedly
R-30 batt that is about 5" thick (supposed to be 8.5"). They compress it
so densely for shipping that it is only about 3". After 2 weeks, batts that have
been lying on their sides are about 5". Batts that were actively "fluffed"
are about 7.5".

We're getting different stories about what is supposed to happen. The
distributor says that we should just install it, and that it will expand over
6 months time to its full depth. Unless someone objective can tell me that
really will happen, I'm not going to do it. It's hard to believe that it will
expand even with the friction of the floor joists (it's going in the ceiling of
a basement). The manufacturer says they should expand within a couple
weeks. Maybe the "fluffed" batts will get there, but it doesn't look like the
others will. And, it's too labor intensive to fluff all the batts. It's also a
pain
to leave them out on their side for two weeks.

We want to use the stuff, but so far have not been impressed. Can anyone
give us some experienced advice?

Thanks,
Wendy Hawthorne
Enermodal Engineering