Re: GBlist: Re: Greywater & Lighting in NYC

----------
> From: White Crow / RSDC <satterle@us.net>
> As mentioned in another response, at this point I am more interested in
> whether a system makes sense in an urban setting.  How would the water be
> separated, and what would the uses be?  Can't be directed outside for
> irrigation!!

Earthships have large indoor planters inside the south wall (which is
mostly glass). You need about 1 sf of planter space for each gallon of
water used per day. You do need some way to handle overflow - usually a
leech field, but in an urban setting I suppose you could just use the
sewers. Most people grow food in these.

Toliets should be composting so that balckwater never enters the waste
stream. No reason why they couldn't work great in apartment buildings.

Power generation would work even better for apartments than homes. Solar
panels on the roof.

No reason you couldn't get all the water you need via rainwater catchment
systems and filters.

So you see you could have an apartment building that does not use sewers,
water lines, or power, and which grows a lot of it's own food.

> >    Lighting is one of the biggest expenses in the day to day operation
of
> >    most modern buildings.  I don't know how much you plan on spending
> >    modify the existing structure, but daylight is the best source of
> >    light.  Daylighting won't work in all areas of the city (if you
happen
> >    to be in the shadow of a skyscraper, or not on one of the top floors
> >    for example).  Daylighting would also require major structural
changes
> >    to the building (the installation of more windows).
> >
> >    Failing the above, four fairly common technologies that should be
> >    available are: 1) using electronic ballasts instead of magnetic, 2)
> >    using "T-8" flourescent tubes instead of T-12 "Cool Whites", 3)
using
> >    compact flourescent lamps instead of incandescent, and 4) using
motion
> >    sensors to control whether lights are on or off.  The first two
> >    suggestions are only if you have overhead flourescent lights (which
> >    doubt, but is possible).  The third and fourth can work anywhere.
> >

> What are the *uncommon* technologies?

What's wrong with the sun during the day and compact floresents at night?