GBlist: GBLIST: greywater, septic, CT

Hello!

I have been lurking on the list for a while, and have enjoyed all the different viewpoints presented.
Thank you!

I bought 4 1/2 acres in Hays county, TX. It is basically two sides of a hill with a wet-weather creek in the middle. The terrain is rocky (collecci (sp?)). Hays county has no building permits, but I definitely need a septic permit.

All the neighbors around have very expensive aerobic septic systems. I have been quoted figures of $8000 and up (and every contractor I spoke with says 'Of course, this system here cost a lot more because of the difficult location). I heard of a neighbor who spent $ 30K on his, which I think is crazy.

Anyway, I am looking for alternatives. I have been searching the web for various composting toilets, but not having used one, I am not sure what to look for. I would like a central system where two or more toilets go into.

The main problem I can see that they don't address is the greywater. I haven't found any usable references for greywater systems. I am worried the county will not let me have a CT because the problem remains of what to do with the greywater.

Another thing I am dismayed about is that there doesn't seem there is anything I can do as a homeowner. The county requires me to hire an approved designer to design a system - who charge $1500-$2000 for this. Then I have to buy an approved commercial system. Then I have to hire an approved installer to install it. Does this sound right? Do you know of any alternatives?

I would like to build as green as possible. I also want to be involved in the project as much as possible.

Thank you all for your informative discussion,

alex