GBlist: re: "OPTIMIZE" (more on?)

on Wed, 28 May 1997
bhoward2@sprynet.com (Bion Howard) wrote:

>    May we have more on how to obtain / track down the specifics on:
>    [OPTIMIZE]
>    Is this something that can be obtained for review, or is it a
>    proprietary tool?

Hello Bion and GB-Heads;

I'm not sure I like being called a "more on" publicly, but just in
case you haven't connected with Peter Russell at CMHC yet, I'll tell you
what I know (not much).

I requested OPTIMZE from CHIC/CMHC and they sent me the User's Manual but
not a copy of the program. Apparently, as Nils mentioned, the newer version
was still undergoing beta testing at the time. I have not pursued the
subject.

The manual does mention however, that:

     "OPTIMIZE is an updated version of the original program, with more
     accurate and up to date data, and improved input and result screens.
     Unfortunately, the new version has retained much of the original
     program architecture. As a result OPTIMIZE 3.1 provides a convenient
     method for obtaining accurate energy and environmental information,
     but uses a program structure that has become rather cumbersome and
     unwieldy."

     "Minimum system requirements are:

          * Microsoft Excel 5.0, Release C
          * 8 Megabytes of RAM
          * 3.2 Mb of disk space on your HD + an additional 200 KB of space
               for each house or assembly file"

From the above I would infer that earlier versions of OPTIMIZE are "out
there" (hence my request to the List for comments). If you feel it would
be useful, I could *try* to get Peter to post something to this List if
there're specific questions that you'd like addressed.

The manual shows a sample output as follows:

     Page 1: Energy Flows
     Page 2: As built Embodied Energy by Commodity
     Page 3: Life Cycle Embodied Energy by Commodity
     Page 4: Weight Breakdown by Commodity
     Page 5: Breakdown of Air Emissions and External Costs
     Page 6: Breakdown of Indoor Air Pollutants
     Page 7: Building Parameters
     Page 8: Maintenance/Replacement: (Enviromental Factors + Cost$)

For those who'd like to request OPTIMIZE,

     Canadian Housing Information Centre (CHIC)
     Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
     700 Montreal Road
     Ottawa ON K1A 0P7

     Fax:      (613) 748-4069