GBlist: Ventilation/filtration/ac system

I need some advice, please...We're purchasing an existing home in central
VA (1966 2-storey brick "colonial" with hot water baseboard heat).
Contracting to have a Pure Air 600 HEPA Shield whole house air filtration
system installed (I have health problems), along with a.c.and a ventilator.
The HVAC contractor initially recommended a Honeywell HR150 perfect window
fresh air ventilation system, which has an air-to-air heat exchanger ($3500
installed), along with the Pure Air 600 and a Trane 3-ton a.c w/ variable
speed air handler. I balked at the ventilator price, whereupon he said that
we could do without it and just preheat the incoming air in winter with a
hot water coil from the furnace or (way cheap) an electric heater. I
questioned whether running an electric heater all winter wouldn't
ultimately cost more than the Honeywell unit, which he didn't know; whether
running the a.c. unit on fan all winter would be as effective as a real
ventilator; and whether there is an "Acme" brand ventilator for less money
that would do almost as good a job as the Honeywell. He was supposed to get
back to me with some answers late Friday, but I think the Baltimore Orioles
were calling him. Any suggestions, folks? Many thanks.

--Bella Stander