Re: GBlist: Dangers of CCA Pressure Treated Wood

At 08:21 AM 6/12/97 -0600, you wrote:
>I agree with you concerning avoiding situations where wood comes in contact
>with the ground.
>
>There are some good reasons for decks though! For example, the mud where
>I'm living now (and also on the land I bought) is enough to keep you
>inside, except we have a deck.
>
>I also like decks because here in Colorado (and in most other parts of the
>USA) you can use the outdoors as part of your home for much of the year.
>I'd rather have a deck with a gas grill and some chairs, then a bigger
>house and no deck. The deck provides great space for parties and just
>sitting around.
>
>What I am looking at is this plastic wood (i.e. made from post-consumer
>plastic and wood chips). It can be cut and screwed like wood, but doesn't
>need any finishing and is of course completely water-proof and termite
>resistant. Looks pretty much just like wood from about 6 feet away. Last I
>heard it costs $1.30 a linear foot for a 2x4. This is about ten cents per
>foot cheaper than redwood and realistically it will last longer.
>
>Any comments? Anyone out there using this?
>
>I have two concerns:
>
>1 - What happens when it burns? Toxic fumes?
>
>2 - There's probably no way to ever get rid of the stuff.
>
>----------
One of the products you talk about here is  TREX it is approx. $ 1.30 foot
and will outlast any wood deck. It is actually a 5/4" or (1 1/4") thick and
6" wide. They make it in 2x6 and 2x10 sizes too and now 4x4 and 6x6  Comes
in grey and natural wood tones. Wood tone will grey out in about 4-6 weeks
in the sun though. But WHY would you want to build with a MATERIAL cost of
something close to $ 2.50- $3.00  when for the same price you can have
CONCRETE. That is a total cost material AND labor. If you want to get
creative put in a pattern or stamp design finish and it will not rot!!
RE: when trex burns it does not say anywhere in the literature I have about
fumes ??
Thanks again,

Darrin Thornton @ Polysteel Alternative Building Systems, Inc.
664 Hillandale Circle
Eagle Point, Oregon 97524
Office 541-830-FORM (3676)  Fax 541-830-3611
EMAIL: epsform@cdsnet.net
www.cdsnet.net/Business/Polysteel
That's about all the electronic leashes I want!!