GBlist: Sign-on letter

Hello to all --

In order to promote alternative forms of construction and encourage
building officials to consider a broader range of material and design
options, the Wood Reduction Clearinghouse is writing the letter below to
congratulate Hesperia for approving the world's first totally
earth-constructed museum and nature complex.

If you would like to join us in applauding Hesperia, please SIGN-ON to the
enclosed letter by JUNE 20, 1997.  To do that, just email a reply (to me
only, not the entire list) and give your name, organization and address. I
will include your name on the letter.

I will send you a reply letting you know how many people we got to sign
on.  Feel free to pass this letter on to colleagues and/or other listservs
you think would be interested.  Thanks!

 June 20, 1997

 Mayor Rosemarie James
 City of Hesperia
 15776 Main Street
 Hesperia, CA 92345

 Dear Madam Mayor:

 We would like to congratulate the City of Hesperia, the Hesperia Building
 and Safety and the Hesperia Recreation and Park District for their
 leadership in endorsing and supporting the development of the prototype
 Superadobe and Ceramic Hesperia Museum and Nature Center with Cal-Earth
 Institute. This project breaks new ground in building technology and helps
 bring sustainable building into the forefront of the design and
 construction industry.  Most importantly, Hesperia is establishing
 precedent and making it easier for other localities to incorporate
 innovative building systems into their own community development plans,
 especially for housing.

 Earth architecture allows for inexpensive, durable and low-impact building
 design using simple materials and techniques available to anyone.  It also
 helps reduce the pressures placed on our dwindling forests and forest
 resources.  Construction accounts for the greatest end-use of
 lumber/plywood in the country, accounting for 50 percent of all wood used
 in the United States.  The destruction of forests to meet this demand
 leads to global deforestation, polluted watersheds and fisheries,
 increased air pollution and clogged landfills.  It also kills millions of
 invaluable plant and animal species.  Earth architecture built with
 regionally appropriate materials is one method of preserving these forest
 ecosystems while providing affordable housing.

 The approval of the Superadobe and Ceramic structures by the Hesperia
 building official in consultation with ICBO (International Conference of
 Building Officials) can also help shape the future of building codes, and
 hence building design, nationally and abroad.  Regional building codes, as
 well as most local codes, deter alternative building materials and
 techniques.  In addition, efforts to develop a uniform international code
 by the year 2000 may not include earth architecture. The results of the
 live-load, seismic and other tests for the Hesperia Museum and Nature
 Center buildings, which determined they could withstand the harshest
 possible conditions, may help change the current pattern and pave new
 inroads into conventional testing beliefs and methodologies.

 We encourage Hesperia to continue its commitment to environmentally
 responsible building practices, and we look forward to the completion of
 the 20-acre "Hesperia Lake Desert Village," which will include a community
 center, amphitheater, equestrian center, Native American villages, shops
 and cafes in addition to the Museum and Nature Center.  Hesperia is a
 national model that will help steer the United States toward an
 economically and ecologically sound future, and we hope other
 municipalities will follow your lead.

 Sincerely,

 Nicole Capretz
 Wood Reduction Clearinghouse