Re: GBlist: Healthy Homes? Low tech bioremediation

At 04:06 PM 7/14/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Has anyone been involved with soil bioremidiation on a residential site
>or even an accounting of possible soil contamination concerns on an
>urban residential site (or even have any thoughts on remediation
>requirements for urban residential green areas).

John, I have had some excellant results with bioremediation of
hydrocarbons, human waste, garbage, and other similar items using a
non-toxic blend of microbes (bacteria).  The blend we have has 106
different microbes, some able to take very low temperatures while others
can handle very hot temperatures.  They "eat" their way through different
materials at different speeds.  One of the favorite items has been coffe
grounds of all things.  There are no harmful bacteria in this blend which
makes them quite attractive.  Some blends add a bunch of "bad guys" that
can cause other problems.

These microbes need a PH of at least 4.5 in order to survive.  Bleach and
similar products will kill enough of them off to make them ineffective.
Application can be critical for maximum (best) results.

The microbes are delivered in a dry mix and are then mixed with warm water
and allowed to multiply overnight before application.  They might well be
what you are looking for.  They are not cheap yet they are cost effective
in most cases.

I think you should seriously consider them and give them a try.

Regards,

Randy Bynum
US energy Controls
San Jose, CA