GBlist: Metal roofs

Hello everyone,
  I may be able to afford a basic metal roof like the style commonly
found on Morton or Menard pole buildings... nothing fancy.  Its called a
channel ridge.
  I have read your past messages on metal roofs and they sound good but
I still have some questions about them.
1.  I was told the old shingles don't need to be removed and the metal
sheets would go directly over the old stuff.  Doesn't that add a lot of
weight to the roof or is metal fairly light?  Should the old shingles be
torn off first?
2.  Also, how good is the seal around vents and chimneys?
3.  And finally, the roof isn't steep (I think someone said its a 1 to 4
pitch) will snow still slide off?
  Any words of wisdom based on experience or what you've heard will be
greatly appreciated in helping me make a decision. Thanks in advance.

Leanne Egeland
Grand Rapids, MN