GBlist: Re: Housing Costs

having read recent comments has tied directly with my recent experience
of job hunting.  i am a recent grad of architectural engineering, wanting
to do sustainable design.

in responding to an add from a builder looking for an in house architect
i was told in no uncertain terms that i was to design a house in some
predefined "style" that is the current big seller: 2400 sf, great room,
"powder"(what?!) bathroom, kitchen, "nook"(again?!), family room, etc.
we've all seen the picture.

i was discussing these houses that get placed on lots arbitrarily, all
north glass resulting.  that would be perfect in the southern hemisphere,
but it doesnt make for liveable spaces up here.  his response, as you
might guess, was that we are in business to provide a "service" and that
means doing exactly what the customer wants, and if it means all glass on
the north, then by all means we do it!  money is the driving force. didnt
want to discuss the idea of teaching the consumer that it is an unwise
investment.

he then went on to lay out many restrictions of the job, pay being the
worst... what kind of houses are we going to end up with if he finds
someone to do it his way?

my question after all of this- where can we start to educate people on
what is happening out there?  they never see this until after the house
is bought, and something- like 14 cracked joists in a NEW floor, and lack
of insulation in half the house- gets them to realize the builder was
cutting corners in every aspect. i would like to do "something" to help
the consumer to understand sustainable design is really in their favor so
they will begin to demand it- any ideas out there?

thanks for listening to my complaint, needed to vent to others who have
been there and would understand the frustration.

Samantha M.